Wednesday 26 January 2011

Dicharge

August 12th 2009 6.30 p.m, was the exact time I left the care of Oakdale Ward at Harrogate Hospital after six weeks of care.

Now it was time to face the big world and adjust to life at home. Everyone needed to adjust and the bulk of this fell to my husband.

The house seemed quite large and now with many pitfalls. I slept in the back bedroom and all was ready for me including a commode for overnight. I could not get in/out/sit up in bed unaided. How weak my back muscles were.
So, when I needed anything I simply shouted! For the first couple of weeks sleeping proved difficult, I just was too scared to sleep in case anything happened to me.

After breakfast in bed I would shower in the loft. I was helped upstairs and seen to be safe sitting on my shower stool and then assisted with my dressing.

It seemed strange not to be able to do as much as I would have wanted, sitting down is not in my nature. Meals were made, shopping had to be done as had the washing. In fact all the routine daily chores were done by my husband. How very frustrating it all was. He beavered all day long whilst I just had to sit around.
All of this seemed very unfair.

An Occupational Therapist visited and assessed any further needs, she arranged for a splint to be made. This was "custom made" and was to be worn to keep me fingers open. I wore it on and off throughout the day as well as overnight initially.  To date I wear it overnight - at least for 11 hours.

The Physio and Occupational Therapist from the ward visited me at home two or three times. They had me outside walking down the road and watched as I made a cuppa. We discussed the layout of the house and any further help that I thought that I may need.

The Community Physio visited on three occasions and did exercises with me. I would sit on the settee with a dining chair in front of me as she advised of different exercises to do. Probably other types of work also, but I cannot remember the specifics.

 It was now that the Stroke Association Coordinator began her visits to the house. She was able to advise on benefits, aids, services, and prompts such as "now you can start light dusting" and how good it was to have her continuity. Someone who knew how stroke patients felt and to be able to re-assure.

I feel very fortunate to have had the continuity, virtually un-broken, from ward to home.

My husband was off work for the first three weeks of my returning home, my eldest son came for the next two and my other son after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment