Tuesday 11 January 2011

Transfer from Unit to Ward

I have no idea how long I was in the Stoke Unit, but I guess that it was around 6 days.

During this time I became more compos mentis. The staff were brilliant and continued to assist with my washing/bathing/ablutions.Another friend also worked on the ward so two friendly faces, this made me feel more at ease.

Once the monitors had been removed I was transferred into a single room by the Nurse's station and this was the beginning of the next step to recovery.

The daily routine continued in much the same way: meals, tablets, washing and putting on face and hand cream, stroking my right arm - to remind it that it was still there and for a purpose!
I think that it was probably around this time that the physio became more active in my recovery.

I was positive in my outlook and remained focused that I would recover. What could I do to kick start myself?
- A daily paper seemed to be the answer. Read, keep up with events in the big wide world that all seemed to have been put on hold. For good measure attempt the crossword. - get my brain cells going and learn to write with my left hand.  I bought my first paper from the WRVS trolley (I also knew this volunteer more joy at another friendly face). As I began to read, it became apparent that I could not focus on the bottom third or quarter of the page. I alerted the nurses to this problem. What was this, was my eyesight affected also?
I tried to convince myself that my spectacle frames were bent and that my varifocal lenses weren't "spotting" as they should. A friend, who I shall refer to as Mrs. Goggins, came to visit and she kindly took my spec's to have them checked over. NO! they were fine, so it must be my left eye.

At the next Consultant's visit we discussed my progress and he suggested a "field vision test" with the ophthalmic dept. Great, another thing wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment