Thursday 13 January 2011

Staff/Family/Friends/Colleagues

Staff, family, friends and work colleagues continued to be supportive during the time that I was in hospital.

I was  introduced to staff who were now more active in my care: Occupational Therapist, Pharmacists and The Stroke Association Coordinator.

The occupational therapist taught me how to dress and un-dress and how to have a wash and assisted me with showering, as did the nurses. All these new ways of tackling mundane things. Fancy having to learn these things again at 56!!
Jenny, from The Stroke Association, introduced herself as the person who would be part of my care team when I was discharged. The link between hospital and home.We chatted and I seem to remember that all that really concerned me about discharge was having a "Blue Badge".

One of my friends, Marjorie, seemed to know exactly what my needs were: underwear that I could actually manage to put on myself, (sports bras or camisole tops with inserts), how things had changed.
Other friends and colleagues brought in all manner of gifts including necklaces that I could put on over my head, pashmina, toiletries etc, sweeties and chocolates and flowers in bunches, bouquets and arrangements.
How lucky to receive all these thoughtful gifts and how very lucky to have so many friends.
I soon befriended the WRVS flower ladies who looked after all my beautiful summer flowers!

It is at this point that I should make a reference to my father. Dad was 90 when this happened to me and was to be 91 in the September. Two of my cousins brought him in to visit me, another tearjerker of a moment. He arrived in his wheelchair, took hold of my hand and as I remember just simply asked "was I going to recover" and that was that. Dad had always been "black and white". I think that he visited on another couple of occasions.As usual it wasn't long before he had begun his usual banter.

No comments:

Post a Comment