Monday 17 January 2011

August 12th 2009

August 12th 2009 - A very important date.

I had spent the previous few years involved with the local AmDram group and my time had been occupied with fund-raising along with a small body of members.

This was to be the night of the official opening of the new and upgraded facilities at the Theatre and I most definitely was going to be there!
 
The Ward Sister allowed me to have my hair and nails done for the occasion. The nurses got me ready, one even spraying me with her perfume.                                                   

My friend, Marjorie (pictured left), bought me a pair of lace gloves and a fancy cushion for my wheelchair. Kathryn made me a wrist corsage and hid some charms inside.
I went with my prepared speech, dictated by me and written by Marjorie.
The Consultant had given the go-ahead for me to attend and be back "whenever". What a tonic this was and this date had kept me focused on my recovery. I would give a speech.
My husband returned me to the ward at around 10.15pm
The staff made us both a drink and I felt like a naughty schoolgirl as we tried to get back to my room. Exhausted, elated I tried to sleep.

                                                                     





Pauline, the lady I was standing on the pavement with when it happened. What a shock she had, we stood with our arms around one another unable to move.
This is just 5 weeks after the fateful night

No comments:

Post a Comment