Sunday 6 February 2011

Initial Weeks at Home

My physio at hospital began on 24th September 2009.
This is still  "work in progress" and the physio, to me, seemed to be systematically opening up muscles to get them working again. I would do work at home in between to try and keep the momentum going.

My teeth had also been affected as had my taste. I had two visits to the dentist to make sure that all was in order. Thankfully no problems were identified, but even now I am careful to chose from a menu wisely, instead of having what I perhaps would really like.

I  had regular checks with my G.P. for the first two or three months. This also served as the re-assurance that I sought.

My husband and family would take me to places for a change of scenery. We firstly tried Marks and Spencer's in Harrogate. Lunchtimes there seemed to be very busy as well as being a creche for new mums. I found the noise suffocating and asked to leave. Stores seemed so busy and overpowering and I couldn't handle this, mmm this had been the norm previously.

Eventually, it was time for me to be alone at home. (Family returned home and husband now back at work.) My husband would oversee my washing and dressing and leave a sandwich for my lunch and everything to hand.  Friends would call around and I also had all their phone numbers. We tried to cover for every eventuality.
Simple things like re-positioning the kettle made a huge difference.

The routine that was now the daily norm was vastly different. We would plan meals and my husband would try and prepare tea - courtesy of the slow-cooker. He seemed to accept all of this as the norm: uncomplaining and just accepted his new roles.

I have recently heard a stroke described as a punctuation mark in life - yes - a full stop. Perhaps that is too harsh, maybe it's more of a comma, but for a very long pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment