Tuesday 18 January 2011

Visits

Chatting is my passion and so the visits were always welcome.

My husband continued to go to work whilst I was an in-patient but he was always at the ward at 6pm prompt, Mon - Fri.  Friends continued to visit, one turning up on the afternoon of my discharge day.

I am not exactly sure when I was allowed to have visits away from the ward. My husband would arrive for evening visiting and we would leave the ward and meet family and friends either in the garden or the WRVS Cafe at the front of the hospital.

Being in the garden on a warm summers evening seemed so tranquil, some evenings my husband would push me around the "block". The Knaresborough Road and Wetherby Road AND the dreaded magic roundabout seemed so unreal and so busy. On occasions friends would walk around the block with us.


Being out of the ward's environment was so different and it was a step nearer to going home. I looked forward to this change of scenery and fresh air.

One person who visited looked at me and simply said, "You look just the same". Of course I did, I was me, it never occurred to me that I may look any different! I may have sounded slightly different when I got tired or over-enthusiastic.

I just say two things to people:

Having the Stroke is easy, it's the recovery that is hard. You must be doggedly determined to get better.
Life has not ended, it's now just a different way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment