Thursday 6 January 2011

The Next Few Days

The following days are also sketchy. I can only suppose that it was "more of the same".

I vividly remember being taken in a wheelchair to have a bath. What fun and how I laughed with the nurse who had to do everything for me. Lowered into the bath in a hoist - I just floated and felt helpless. The nurse wrapped me in towels, like a Mummy, and wheeled me back to the Unit. That was my one and only bath.

The Consultant came again and asked me to draw a clock face and "other stuff" but I cannot remember what. Left handed - now that was a challenge. I don't suppose at this time I really realised the full impact of how I had been affected.

The Speech Therapist also visited - how lucky that I only temporary suffered with that, and after a a week or so was discharged from their care. Even now, when I get tired I know that I sound a bit slurred. One of the biggest frustrations is that I cannot remember things or cannot find the correct word. This reminds me of one of Alan Bennet's "Talking Heads" But I cannot remember which one!

My husband continued to always be there, what impact this will have on him remained at this time rather unknown.

Friends came in their droves and I found it all very emotional and tiring. Trying to make small talk, but not succeeding. I was hugely grateful for all their support and was touched by their generosity of all the thoughtful gifts. Flowers continued to arrive and some had to be placed around the Unit and ward. Nurses said that they had never seen anything like it!

Finally, with exhaustion and a "pounding" head I asked the Sister to screen visitors and to make them aware of the situation. I needed rest and finally acknowledged the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment