Sunday 2 January 2011

Five Small Minutes

Sunday July 5 2009 I reached the ripe old age of 56. Four days later I received the most unwelcome birthday gift - a life changing stroke.

I had had a fairly routine day at work, and after my tea that evening I attended a meeting about fundraising for Knaresborough's Frazer Theatre. This event was held on a balmy summer's evening at a friend's house. I was chatting on the pavement outside afterwards, when I felt what felt like a kick in the back of my right knee. I told my friend that it felt as though I was suddenly drunk, despite only having a cuppa. Almost immediately afterwards I felt a second kick which saw me start to fall to the floor. My friend put her arms around me and held me up. I was unable to move as was my friend, I managed to tell her that I thought that I had suffered a stroke. Thankfully, the person whose house it was came outside and immediately rushed back in, dialling an ambulance and sent her two children outside with a chair and blankets.

It was only at this point that I understood the concept of an out of body experience. I heard the ambulance with the siren travelling up the road. The ambulance staff strapped me onto a stretcher and put me in the ambulance,  asking routine questions which I was able to answer. I was admitted to Harrogate District Hospital where I began the long process of recovery which is still on-going. I am at present a "work in progress"!


These five short minutes were the start of a totally life-changing experience not only for me but also for my husband, family, and friends. This is why I have called my blog five small minutes.

Follow the link to find out information about strokes and the work of The Stroke Association.

http://www.stroke.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment