Friday 11 November 2011

Ups and Downs

Since writing the previous entry I have had somewhat of a rollercoaster time, due mainly to a trapped nerve in my neck. I do not know how this occurred but it has had a "knock on" effect with aspects of my recovery.

I had put up with pain for a few days before a nursing friend of mine insisted that I should have it checked out. Initially I went to a Pharmacist in a large supermarket on a Friday evening in extreme pain. After a discussion about my medication she dispensed gel and strong pain-killers which can only be used for three days, this was sufficient to get me through the week-end before going to my G.P.
The Doctor that I saw recommended neck exercises - something that my Physio has always told me to be careful with as you can overstretch nerves. The pain, although did not increase, was really acute and even though I have a high pain threshold found it difficult to cope with. I contacted my Physio who agreed an appointment and gave me "manual" traction. The following day I felt somewhat bruised but I now have movement back in my neck without too much discomfort.

Contending with this additional problem over the last three or four weeks has meant that although I continued to wear my splints I wasn't able to do daily exercises with my arm which has been disappointing, but I remind myself that this is a temporary hitch, although it has been sometimes difficult to keep focussed about this. Now I have re-started, my right arm, the affected arm, has become somewhat painful until it gets used to the daily routine. I feel that there is a very fine balance in getting everything "back on track" but I remain committed and have the unwavering support of my husband.

November is the month of family birthdays and last week-end we had a gathering of twelve people at my house. I managed to assist with the shopping for this get together and that really made me tired. A friend did additional shopping for one hot dish that she also made for us. I did not feel totally well on the day and it took its toll for a couple of days afterwards.

I am currently taking things one day at a time, my mind is willing to go forward but my body needs to go at its own pace. I have learnt the hard way that what I can achieve on one day may not be sustainable, the trick is not to get wound up or angry about it. Remain focussed and a slow steady improvement is fine - this is a marathon not a sprint!

I now know and appreciate the true value of friendship and value true friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment