Sunday 9 October 2011

Gadgets

Kitchen Play Station!
This is my multifunctional Kitchen "Play Station". I purchased this so I could feel of more value and be of some use in the kitchen.
Items such as these can be purchased from any reputable supplier of goods for the disabled.
After two years I still have not got a functioning right hand, so this gives me some kind of independence.


This multi-functional aid is ideal to provide assistance with everyday tasks.
The vice-like contraption that sits in the middle of the board opens up to hold any object in place: bowl, tin, vegetables or bread.

The removable slicer and grater unit has a protective cover when it is not in use. I find the slicer particularly good to peel potatoes. At the right hand side of the board are removable spikes, (they are inverted when not in use), and these can be used to secure fruit or vegetables for peeling, slicing or chopping. The L-shaped corner is very useful to keep bread or toast in place when it needs buttering!

The black coloured piece of equipment is a left handed tin opener. Yes, there is something to aid every function and to make one feel some sense of purpose.

Shopping Bag
Before my hand was more able to do things, however small, I used to get really frustrated at being able to go shopping and then not to be able to carry purchases home. Initially, I would purchase a newspaper and one or two items and then would find that I could not juggle carrier bags, a walking stick and have my bus fare ready. One of my son's bought the shoulder bag, as pictured, which immediately gave me greater flexibility with purchases, but I now have to be mindful of how much I buy due to the problem of carrying too much weight which can unbalance me.

No comments:

Post a Comment