Tuesday 29 November 2011

Capabilities

Following on from the last entry: 
Whilst we were in the award winning food store, Lewis & Cooper, I decided to try and walk down the flight of stairs. This I managed fairly easily as the steps are quite shallow, but I would never attempt to do this kind of thing unless I had someone with me. It does give a sense of "normality" but there is still a long way to go and I accept this.

The following day I decided to have a bath, this is something which I do not do very often, preferring a shower instead. I still require help to sit down and stand up once in the bath, and my husband is on hand to assist, if necessary, to get me in and out. That same afternoon we walked down by the river where we live - a glorious day.

Feeling buoyant by all of this, on the day afterwards I caught a bus into town and walked it back home, around a distance of 1 mile. Then on the same afternoon, my husband took me to a supermarket and left me to push the trolley around and decide on our shopping requirements. He did however meet me at the checkout to pack and pay for the goods.

All of this and combined with a trip to the local market, a garden centre with a friend for lunch and a trip home to see our family meant that last week seemed to have some semblance of normality.

However, I am not now sure whether all of this may have come at a price. For the last couple of days I have had a very sore and slightly swollen achilles tendon, on my bad leg, which means that I am finding it very difficult to walk. I first noticed it when I got out of bed one morning and had to stop myself from falling to the floor.

I have to just get on with things and not concern myself about this latest "blip". As much as I would like my abilities to be more than they are, I understand what I am capable of and my body is giving me a chance to recover. We had the ethos at work that: "You can't control the uncontrollables" and this is a prime example.

As we are only a few weeks away from Christmas and the enforced resting will mean that I can help in the ways I can: writing cards and producing and printing address labels, but even this is not totally straightforward as I have to still use my left hand which even after two and a half years does not come naturally.
I still remain upbeat and still vow not to be beaten!

Check out the award winning gourmet store:
.http://www.lewisandcooper.co.uk/store/home.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment