Wednesday 16 November 2011

Push, Push, Push

I have never been one to give up even with all that I sometimes have to contend with, and although my neck continues to give me a few problems, I strive to push on and set myself challenges.

At the week-end I managed quite a walk by the river where I live: Saturday was such a glorious day and it felt so good to get out and breathe in fresh air in all the wonderful sunshine. That evening we visited a restaurant on the outskirts of Leeds, "The Mansion" is a listed classical building situated north of the city, which commands superb views over the 700 landscaped acres of parkland, lakes and woodland that comprise Roundhay Park. This had been a Christmas present for us and at last I am feeling more comfortable about my situation and am now more likely to enjoy the prospect of dining out.

We started the week by visiting a nearby market town and made purchases in three shops before shopping at a supermarket. I coped with all of this very well and pushed the trolley around the supermarket, it does feel good to be able to "check out the shelves" and see what is on offer, especially as Christmas is only a matter of weeks away. After lunch at home we set out again this time to a DIY Superstore, this I had to concede was a step too far and I found walking around quite difficult. I had got in and out of the car several times and walked around shops and a supermarket. So on my return home I had a long soak in the bath and got into my night clothes.

The following day refreshed after a good rest and sleep I took advantage of the pleasant weather and set myself the challenge of walking to town and back, some two miles in total. This I did on my own and I felt a greater sense of self-sufficiency and independence. I need to know my limitations and must challenge myself. After three or four hectic days followed by a day of rest I will be able to test myself once more.

I can sometimes be possibly perceived as abrupt or ungrateful, but my friends now know to step one pace back. I would rather let them see me having a go at something and not managing than letting them do things for me. I have just managed to learn how to fasten a zip recently, trivial? Not at all, I can now wear the coat I want to!

The next challenge that I have set myself is ironing, this I will have to do with my left hand, so to me this whole experience will be a definite challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment