Sunday 6 March 2011

Tolerence, Intolerance and Fit for Purpose

I have never considered myself as disabled - but admit to it being more of a temporary state.
I would like to think that this and my sheer determination and doggedness to combat this wretched state has got me to where I am today, 20 months afterwards.
It has been a huge learning curve for all of us and this is what this next post tries to address.

I can now empathise with the less abled and see all manner of things from a different perspective. Disabled toilets are my big passion and I could quite easily give an outburst if I see the use of them being abused and am not stopped! Has anyone ever thought that the disabled do not have to have something outwardly physical wrong with them. I find it all quite infuriating when normal people will just "nip into these toilets" to avoid a queue. At a recent visit to a local M & S I saw a lady trying to use the disabled loo and my how she looked quite put out when she found it to be occupied, so she then went into the mother and child facility.

I still find busy places with lots of people hard to handle. Lots of people all coming towards me can throw me off balance so I literally have to stop dead in my tracks. Again, at the same shopping trip two ladies who were deep in conversation almost walked into me, but even worse they were oblivious to the fact. It took a gentleman who was patiently waiting for his wife to notice this incident.

I want to be normal and to so must try to do things for myself. Getting dressed, making food, cleaning, bits of shopping, pushing a supermarket trolley, pegging out clothes, writing letters to name a few. I want to and need to do these things to not only aid recovery but to feel "fit for purpose". People around me obviously want to help and I hope that they are not offended when I decline their offer. I have to understand that folk have my best interests at heart and that  if they assisted it would be more speedy, but to coin a well known phrase: "I didn't get where I am today by sitting back and letting others do for me". I do not do it to offend or upset but to keep up the road to recovery and normality.

Before the stroke I had at times, what could be a quite demanding job and was involved in one or two local societies and I have mentioned previously, along with a small nucleus of folk did a lot of fund-raising for the local theatre. Suddenly to go from "all to nothing" has been very hard - not to have a finger in all the pies! I tried to keep my interest with the theatre, but this too is very demanding and so it has been with tremendous regret that I have had to take a back seat.

What now? Well I have recently had a "taster" session with the WRVS trolley at the hospital, but have had to concede defeat. I simply haven't the stamina to walk the distance and could not manage all the thinking skills that are required.One day I will give something back to the hospital that has looked after me and my family so well.

I am currently writing this blog and another which gives a insight into my childhood memories:  http://woodcroftfolk.blogspot.com/
This, although takes a long time to write, is giving me a sense of purpose and real achievement.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shirley,

    Thanks for sharing - a lot to think about there.

    The complexities of how visible a "disability" is, and how much a person might want or need help, are quite frightening. I'd like to think that a person could choose to be self-sufficient on a "good" day and ask for help on a "bad" day, but the reality is that we are too often defined by how "able" or otherwise we are, and people are troubled when others don't conform to their preconceptions.

    A lot of people around us are suffering from ill health at the moment, and your post reminds me that I can't tell by looking which people need help the most.

    Cheers,

    PhilK

    ReplyDelete