Sunday 6 March 2011

Clothes and Shoes

Initial days out seemed to invariably mean a trip to Matalan where I could purchase bigger clothes inexpensively.
I increased a full dress size but it could be two depending on the make of clothes. I didn't like the idea of being a full two sizes bigger but had to accept the fact.

I bought what I thought to be a rather trendy short length duffel coat, something I told myself would be very useful when using my wheelchair. All seemed ok but I soon began to realise what a mistake I had made. It was heavy and without a lining, this made it very difficult to put on and then have to swing it over my shoulder was nigh impossible. I had to put my bad arm in first and then lay the rest of it over the back of the settee to manoeuvre it! The only good thing about the coat was its colour!!
I continued to add to my wardrobe but was very careful in my purchases after that.

Clothes had to be easy to get on and off, particularly in a "need to get to the loo quickly" scenario. Leggings with trendy tops seemed to be the answer unless I had the occasion to be glammed up, which was a rare occurrence.
Chosen wisely, a few clothes could create many different looks, but I always wanted to be up to date if I could: Tee shirts with cardigans for summer and with chunky knits for winter

It is hard to comprehend but my feet have decreased a half size and now was the real great need to get flat, shoes that would give support. My right foot can roll and I have a "foot up splint". This aids my walking and means that I can place my foot straight. I wear it around the house with trainers and whenever I can outside.

I now shop at a few well chosen places and have got to know the assistants who are only too pleased to offer assistance and advice where it is needed and occasionally let me take things home to try on rather than get all flustered in changing rooms. To have the confidence and value people's advice makes everything a far more pleasurable experience.

I quickly began to realise that I must get clothes and shoes that I could manage by myself:  No belts, zips or laces and a coat with a hood. Yet something else to consider on what used to be a pleasurable experience, so natural and not problematic.

No comments:

Post a Comment