Tuesday 22 March 2011

Half Full . . . Half Empty

I have always tried to look on the bright side of things, no matter how bad circumstances may have been at that time.
A lot has happened to me and my family in respect of our health, and with me personally, however, the stroke is something which has happened to me, but has affected everyone.

My father would always ask: "how's that arm doing?" I would simply reply "fine" and try to show him what I could do to reassure him. I would tell him that everything was O.K. and that if you were to look around there are people far worse off than me. He would go on to say that whilst he applauded my sentiments they didn't help me to get better.

To get through something as life changing as this you have to have a half full glass and be really positive. What is the point of giving up or giving in? There is a lot of life to be had, you have to make your own way and be strong to overcome the obstacles that are thrown your way.

I was told only a couple of days ago that "I was upbeat about it" - what is the point of being any other way?
I have been given a second chance at life and am going to grasp it and enjoy it. My way of thinking about things may have altered, but it is perhaps the stroke that has made me more strong and determined.

I was recently asked by the physio what now was really important for me to be able to do. I didn't hesitate and said that I would dearly love to be able to move and hold out my right arm. I was advised that no matter how much weight work that I do in the gym it won't aid a speedy recovery. So we have decided to concentrate on re-gaining useful purpose to my right hand. Of course I am disappointed at this, but, one step at a time. As my father would always do: Listen, understand and move on. Don't dwell on the uncontrollable.

Whilst I have my role models, I have become the role model for other people that I know. If I can turn this experience into something positive for others then I'm pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment