Wednesday 24 August 2011

Thinking Skills & Memory

One thing that I never do is read previous posts before writing a new one. I make no apologies if entries seem to be repeated, but I write as I feel on any particular day or as issues come to mind.

To have a stroke is one thing, but to face all the challenges that come with recovery can be daunting and almost like turning the clock back to childhood. Learning to walk, being able to use a different hand, getting dressed with one hand, tying a bow, learning to write with a different hand are just some of the daily tests. So it is almost as though we face a "double challenge" as we have to entirely re-think our daily life.

Some solutions are quite simple: re-positioning the kettle or ensuring that the vacuum cleaner is stored the correct way round for example, but I have found that it is better to think problems out to find the solution that will be the most economical on the physical state. So, I now have to exercise my thinking skills to really find alternate methods to what I once used to take for granted. I have recently learnt to tie a bow, but I have to concentrate really hard to achieve this, and so have to block out all that is going on around me.

I still even now, forget things that I have been told or can get facts incorrect, and therefore am not the best carrier of messages. I find this deeply frustrating but I have learnt the art of word association which can help - but not always.

Although modern day living entails the use of computers, as did my job, I have to admit that I am not the most skilled at using them. What previously, had been simple routine use of them, occasionally now seems complicated and this in turn leaves me with a feeling of confusion or helplessness. I have been known to e-mail friends for instructions when I need assistance.

Yesterday, my husband realised that we had lost a set of important keys and we spent all day, on and off, searching for them. I tried to help him by suggesting that he should re-trace his steps and we hunted from the loft to garage by way of the greenhouse - all to no avail. We did manage "to keep calm and carry on", but it was very unsatisfactory.   This morning I put on my dressing gown and voila there they were in one of the pockets!  Fortunately, we saw the funny side of things, but I still cannot remember handling the keys and have had to put behind me the upheaval that had been caused.

I soon learnt that you cannot control the uncontrollables and that whatever happens on any one day "just does" and start each day afresh.





No comments:

Post a Comment