Thursday 12 April 2012

Sip It For Stroke: 7th April 2012

Sip for Stroke 2012Throughout spring, The Stroke Association are encouraging people to organise a Sip for Stroke event and help stroke survivors and their families.
With this in mind I decided to host a coffee morning on Easter Saturday.

Ten friends helped with the running of the event and a meeting was held beforehand to sort out job allocation. On the previous day we set out the room and priced all the goods which had been donated, stalls included: bring & buy, cakes, raffle, "guess the name of the dolly" and books. Three ladies were tasked with refreshments.
Our local M.P. agreed to attend in his capacity as Vice Chair of the All Paliamentary Group On Stroke.


More goods and produce were brought on the day and the event raised  £509.80.

 The organising of the event proved to be quite a stressful time for me, even though my friends were all there for support. Before I had my Stroke, I thrived on this type of event and fundraising and I felt that it should have been a very easy task. During the week leading up to it I found that I couldn't switch my mind away from it and my head started to "thud" again. I can only describe the feeling as if I had got off a fairground ride and although my body had stopped my head keeps travelling.


Thanfully, with all the planning and all the goods being donated, a magnificent amount was raised for The Stroke Association.
Thank you to everyone who attended or assisted in any way.


Every year an estimated 150,000 people in the UK have a stroke. Of all people who suffer from a stroke, about a third are likely to die within the first 10 days, about a third are likely to make a recovery within one month and about a third are likely to be left disabled and needing rehabilitation.
Stroke has a greater disability impact than any other medical condition. A quarter of a million people are living with long-term disability as a result of stroke in the UK.
The Stroke Association is the only UK wide charity solely concerned with combating stroke in people of all ages.
The Stroke Association funds research into prevention, treatment and better methods of rehabilitation, and helps stroke patients and their families directly through its Life After Stroke Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment