Monday 23 April 2012

Aftercare

Today I visited the Physio at hospital which is the first time in a couple of months. After a general catchup on my progress we discussed the difficulties that I am now experiencing with my right knee and how exercises may be of benefit.

The knee sometimes can feel very painful and at other times I can find it difficult to walk. I have noticed that when I am walking downstairs the knee can lean to the right. After a lot of effort, and at times pain, I have learnt to walk downstairs one foot in front of the other, but I have been advised to tempoary suspend this method that we all take for granted and return to the "one step at a time" method: bad leg first then place the good leg on the same step. This is obviously very disappointing, but I have to accept that it should only be as a temporary measure.

Exercises 20th April 2012

The Physio directed me through the exercises and then wrote them up for me for reference.

I have been advised how to test out straight leg raises in three different positions, noting which are difficult or prove painful, and also how to execute hamstring knee curls and exercises for glutes.

These are to be done three times a day and I return to the physio in around eight weeks to discuss my findings.



Stright Leg Raise at 2 o'clock

Exercise for Glutes





The Straight Leg Raises are to be done at three different positions: Straight, (12.00), 10.00 and 2.00 positions. My Left leg, good leg, has to be kept straight and flat whilst I complete a 2" raise with my bad leg, Right leg.
I must only do one of these exercises, (eg:12.00), at a time and have been advised to execute that one three times a day for three days, moving on to the next position for three days etc.
A hard bed or floor would be the best place to undertake this work.

Exrecises for Glutes (Gluteal muscles) can be accomplished either standing or lying:
To achieve these I can choose either option:
Stand at the kitchen counter or sideboard/table keep my good leg straight and move the bad leg backwards, keeping it straight and foot pointed.

Exercises for Hamstrings are to be done sitting on a chair with a pair of stretchy lycra tights tied around it and around a chair that is facing. The idea is to push out the bad leg and pull it backwards feeling the resistance of the tights. In a more conventional way these stretches can be achieved by using bands or simply holding out the leg straight and positioning the body over it, rather like "chin to knee".

I am in no way advocating that these exercises should be undertaken by anyone and they should only be undertaken on advice from a professional. These have been tailor made to meet my specific needs with improvised apparatus/kit as I do not use the facilities of a gym.
This form of aftercare is not necessary for every stroke patient, but this will help my muscles during a time when I can be more immobile than I would like or want.

 It will be three years in July since I had my stroke and recovery is still being accomplised, sometimes slower than I would like, but with the support that I recieve on all levels I still remain focussed to achieve as much recovery as possible.











No comments:

Post a Comment