Thursday 12 April 2012

March





Frozen beach & sea at Riga
Riga March 2012

Granny duties

March proved to be a busy month with trips to Riga, Latvia and to London.
Every year we go on an organised trip from our local Cricket Club and this year it was a party of 26 - the largest one ever.
The big challenge for this trip was the 4.30a.m. pick up something which I had never encountered before and this was of slight concern. In the days leading up to the day of departure I tried to get as much rest as possible and just had to look on as my husband got everything ready and packed. We keep a check list for such events so we do not forget essentials, making sure that I have enough medication.
I still find airports to be quite stressful, especially going through check in and security and moving from one queue to another along with a lot of other people. Although I am more mobile these days, I have made the decision to book wheelchair assistance, not only does this keep me more calm but aids my husband who has to sort out all the documents and make sure that I am ok.
Flying over Riga was pretty spectacular as the sea was frozen, and there was the last of the snow and ice in the city also, which meant that the main river was frozen over. We travelled to their seaside by train one day and marvelled at men sitting on the middle of the frozen river boring holes in the ice to fish!
Two weeks after returning from Riga we travelled to London to be with our family and new granddaughter for the weekend. On the Saturday afternoon we went to the theatre to see "Warhorse". A busy, but very rewarding weekend.
On the day we were due to return from London, I became unwell with swollen neck glands and sore throat, something which I have been experiencing for over 30 years when I get tired or run down. This laid me quite low for around a week and eventually I went to see my G.P. who gave me a check up but did not think that it was  appropriate to prescribe any medication for this. I have also been experiencing a problem with my right knee, which has meant that walking has been very difficult, I do not think that this is Stroke- related, but  rather something to do with a problem that I had surgery for only a couple of months before the Stroke. I am now waiting for a referral to see the Physio at the local hospital.
All in all a very good month, with lots of good memories.
As I have said before: "A Stroke is not the end of life but just the beginning of a new way of life"





No comments:

Post a Comment