Thursday 29 December 2011

Continuing my journey

To extend the wrist
To extend the wrist


Reach out & hold

I do not now have regular appointments with my Physio, but occasional contact is kept by e-mail. I recently received a message that stated she "was pleased that my hand is continuing its journey". This is something that I had never considered - the fact that all my recovery has been and still is a continuing journey. I strive to maintain progress with daily exercises and am always trying to re-invent them to adapt them to my current needs.

I am now trying to extend and strengthen my wrist. This I do by holding a salt seller horizontally in my right hand (I should hold the wrist down with my left hand) and then pull up the wrist and hold in this position for up to 10 seconds.

Holding objects is something that I have been doing for a while, I have a variety of objects that are different shapes and medium. However, it has been a challenge to be able to reach out and take hold of an object. At first, I could only get hold of things the reverse way round: as I am predominantly right handed I would have to grab hold and cuff objects in the opposite way that is shown in the picture above. It was as though everything seemed to be working back to front.


To strenghten the triceps in my right arm I put my arm behind me, keeping the elbow straight and then hold up to the count of 10.  This I can do whilst holding the salt seller. My aim is to bring the arm forwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment