Wednesday 18 February 2015

"Well on the way"

"Well on the way" - this was the phrase that was recently used by a friend about my recovery.
I would have to agree with this, although I do have some issues which aren't readily visible.

In July this year, it will be six years since I had my Stroke, however I still consider myself  "work in progress". I know that I have come a long way since the evening of July 9th 2009 - but there is still more to do. My right hand, fingers and arm have still not come back to full use and exercising keeps on telling them that they have a purpose.
My father died eight months after I had my stroke and each time he saw me he asked: "how's the arm, will it recover?" I made a promise to him that it would and so I keep on working.

I still wear my resting splint overnight and have just recently had another one moulded for me. This keeps my fingers straight and also comfortable. I wear my foot up splint and knee brace when I am out walking - be that around town, shopping,days out etc and I always take them on my holidays - if I didn't I wouldn't be able to do all the walking that I can achieve.
I used to get "hung up" at what people would think, but now I just go out without any second thoughts. I have covered my foot up splint with lace, but I can easily change the way it looks by using a scarf or different fabrics. It doesn't matter what people see, as they only see you for a fleeting moment, whereas I have to do what is right for me or live with the consequences.

I do not get as tired as I used to do, but can still occasionally be in bed by 8.30/9.00pm. People are very understanding if I make arrangements and then cancel at short notice.
There are times after a night out or, if we have done a lot of travelling, that I am so tired that I have to helped upstairs and undressed for bed. Also on the odd occasion when I have a bath I may have to be assisted both gtting into and out of it!
My concentration can sometimes be lacking and I can still find myself searching for the correct words. My husband and I smile at this as it reminds us of my mother who sometimes got words mixed up.    I can and do sometimes get stressed in crowds or have to meet people for the first time.
Sometimes all you see is not actually how things are - - - 
                                              -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

As I have previously stated exercising for me has been one of the keys to recovery- benefits of exercise include:
Controlling cholesterol levels, fighting high blood pressure and controlling any potential weight gains. I put on over two stones post stroke and could see my dress size increasing. At this point I joined a group and have successfully lost this weight and have remained in target for thirteen months.

A stroke can leave you with no physical disability or affects your ability to move. After the physiotherapy ceased I made myself a temporary exercise plan which I tried to carry out daily - not always a possibility due to fatigue. Over time I have built up my stamina levels and aimed to walk further distances and after a break from chairobics I am about to restart classes. Even a walking stick can be used as part of an exercise plan.

The Stroke Association has produced a booklet about Exercise and Stroke:
http://www.stroke.org.uk/sites/default/files/R07%20Exercise%20and%20stroke.pdf











No comments:

Post a Comment