Tuesday 17 February 2015

Annual Cricket Club trip

We have just returned from Gdansk, Poland which was this year's place for our annual Cricket Club trip.


Five days before the trip I had treatment to re-align my body, several areas were worked on and this left me quite tired and sore in places - my neck being the main problem area. So, it was rest, rest, rest and early nights. It took me two and a half days to begin to feel the benefit and then it was time to consider packing and getting everything organised.
The day before the trip the local weather was beautiful and my husband and I ended up going for a riverside walk where we live! I would hazard a guess that I was subconsciously stressed at what seemed the lateness of everything - although there were two half days remaining to accomplish everything that was required.
I just laid out my clothes and let it all happen around me. Even though we have been abroad several times post Stroke, I always find the packing and arrangements stressful, leaving my husband to take charge whilst I just make endless lists. Before my Stroke I was a well organised person, prioritising my work and I find it really hard not to be taking full control over matters.
The trip, as usual, worked like clockwork and without any glitches. The first and last full days we had free time to explore on our own and on the middle two there were organised full day trips.
Targ Rybny incl the medieval crane.

Statue of Neptune
Dlugi Targ by night
 The hotel fronted Dlugi Targ, the main thoroughfare. Gdansk is a cosmopolitan city and on two occasions has been a State in its own right. It is the main tourist attraction in the region due to its rich history and wonderfully rebuilt old town. Two key moments of 20th century history took took place in Gdansk: the first shots of WW11 were fired here and forty years later the cracks in the Iron Curtain were forced open by the Solidarity movement.
The first of our day trips took in the adjoining Baltic cities of Sopot and Gdynia. Sopot is a seaside spa town with the longest wooden pier in Europe and Gydinia is a city born out of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 and is Poland's main harbour and seaport.
The following day we visited Malbork Castle which is UNESCO protected. it came to prominence in 1309 when the Teutonic Knights made it their military and political headquarters. Malbork is the largest brick built castle in the world. Here we had an English speaking guide - our tour took two and a half hours - and that was without any break! Indeed a huge site.
Grand Hotel, Sopot
Architecture, Sopot style.

Gdynia

Sopot pier
 
Malbork Castle
I managed to cope with several sets of staircases - even the very last one which was very steep, narrow and winding. People walked behind me in case "I needed a push" and the people in front helped when I reached the top!  My fellow travellers are brilliant and the ones whom I don't see from year to year really  noticed a change in me this year. We went out for dinner each evening and on our return to the hotel I managed to stay around for an hour or twos companionship with the group. The first year that I have achieved this.
On our last day I walked to the Gdansk shipyard to see the memorial to the shipyard workers and the European Solidarity Centre. A trip down memory lane for many visitors.


Since our return home I have been reasonably active and even managed two short walks down by the river. I am tired, but not like I used to be, and I do have a sore back, neck and knees. No doubt this will result in some form of treatment, but these days I still remain positive in my outlook. It has been, and still is, a lengthy road to recovery.
On the occasions when I awake during the night, I can still hear the voice of the Physio who looked after me so well at hospital! I lie still on my back and do exercises - pulling up my right arm so the shoulder touches my ear lobe and then straighten it to make it long.
                                                     Exercising is the key to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment