Wednesday 29 May 2013

Weight: Gain & Loss


It is now seven weeks since I joined a slimming club and during this time I have managed a weight loss of 9.5lbs.  Each week I have managed to lose a little weight and now I am noticing the difference, especially how my clothes are fitting!
I was spurred on to join a class because I knew that a group situation would prove to be valuable. I joined primarily when I was on the verge of increasing to another dress size, having already increased by one size since my Stroke.

I eat very well and do not "starve" myself or go hungry: I have learnt how to balance food and ways to optimise. Subtle changes can have tremendous results and if there is a "blip" one week then not to  be despondent.
Breakfast usually consists of cereals with fruit, (raspberries and blueberries), or a bowl of fresh fruit or wholemeal toast.
Lunch can be a sandwich or jacket potato with filling.
Dinner/Tea is fresh meat/fish with plenty of vegetables.
It doesn't feel like dieting when you can eat unlimited fish/meat/poultry/fruit and eggs, however getting the balance is key and I have to be mindful to have foods that are high in calcium and fibre as well.
Occasionally I will menu plan, but I have found that it is a good idea to write out a list when we go shopping - and not to deviate!

During the first couple of weeks I kept a food diary which initially helped me until it became routine.
This would show at a glance what foods and combinations that I had been eating and also show me the initial weeks weight losses. More importantly - was it working, had I got it right?
I also charted my exercise, which differs weekly according to my stamina and how able I am. I can walk with the use of a stick, however, this can cause ankle, knee and neck pain. Some days I can have difficulty in walking up and downstairs and on days like this I have learnt not to "beat myself up" but just accept that on the following day I will probably be better.

Sharing recipes and information with group members is a very useful and free tool. I now feel healthier and I am sure that not carrying the increased weight can only be beneficial.




No comments:

Post a Comment