Monday 27 May 2013

Simple things . . .

After a hectic couple of weeks it is now time to slow down and rest wherever possible.

Whilst our extended family were staying with us we visited:
Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Saltaire & Whitby: links attached
http://www.ysp.co.uk/page/visit-ysp/tc        http://www.saltairevillage.info/
 http://www.whitby.co.uk/whereiswhitby.html

It was a very full schedule as we showed our cousin some places of interest on the limited time that she stayed with us. The weather remained good and this helped enormously.
On the day that we returned Gill to Lancashire it was my mother-in-law's 96th birthday and so we all went out to celebrate at a local Italian restaurant, this meant a very long day with a 110 miles round trip.  The following Sunday there was a family christening in Lancashire- again another long day, but so good to be part of all the celebrations. 
The days that followed these events left me extremely tired and I visited the Doctor to make sure that everything was ok. - I had the "whizzy" head and found that I couldn't "switch off" and at times felt light-headed. After a good examination where my blood pressure was checked and other routine checks were also made I was prescribed medication for a kind of vertigo. I am now more relaxed, but know that I have to take things steady for a week or two.
During this time my friends have taken me out for lunch to help me to relax. Three different friends and on three separate occasions, but on each occasion to the same place!
It is a difficult balance, as I want to be active to feel useful around the house but on the other hand I must take it steady. Over the last couple of weeks I kept going to bed thinking of all the jobs that I wanted to do and achieve, and so with this in mind I devised a table. This has helped a great deal and now I feel more relaxed and less pressurised, ( which I have brought upon myself).
I will edit as necessary and the columns can be set as desired: morning and afternoon for example.



SHIRLEY
Fri. 24th May
Metro Centre

Sat 25th May
Clothes away

Sun 26th
Rawtenstall

Mon 27th (B.H.)
 Iron

Tues 28th
Loft

Weds 29th
Collect ‘script

Thurs 30th
Collect Debs

Fri 31st May
Dentist 12.35




Sat 1st June


Sun 2nd
H.C.

Mon 3rd


Tues 4th


Weds 5th


Thurs 6th


Fri 7th


Sat 8th
BED RACE

Sun 9th
WOODCROFT

Mon 10th


Tues 11th
M&S

Weds 12th
Toilet/Bath’m + Floors

Thurs 13th
Sarah 11.15




 Inbetween all of this I still continue to set myself personal goals and I have achieved the next two:
I can now clean my teeth using my right hand and can also put my deodorant on in this way. So, after almost four years, I am still maintaining progress and this I feel that this is by setting myself realistic targets. I practice, practice and practice until it slowly becomes second nature.
My next one is to try and eat with my right hand again. One of my sons has bought me a "Spork": knife/fork and spoon combined. At the moment this is proving to be a challenge, but I can manage the spoon!
 The weather continues to play its part also. The cold and damp is no good for recovery as it causes the tendons in my arm to tense and shorten and in turn makes my fingers start to curl again. Hopefully, as we move towards summer, this will cease to be.

I continue with my routine medication and still use the Dosset Box that the hospital supplied. I was shown how to use it before my discharge. It has now a matter of routine as I load up the daily compartments with regular medication on a weekly basis.
It is also very useful when we go on holiday.

 In six weeks time it will be the fourth aniversary of my Stroke.
I still continue to remain focussed and "live in the knowledge that I am going to recover".
Recovery is a marathon not a sprint.
During this time my friends have played their part and continue to do so. I owe so much to them and to my family.








No comments:

Post a Comment