Wednesday 25 May 2011

Observations & Comments

My husband and I have recently returned from a week's cruise around the Greek Islands.

We joined the ship at Corfu and our first day was at sea, which gave us the oportunity to familiarise ourselves with all the facilities on board and for my husband to chill after all the packing and looking after me whilst travelling.

There was a diverse range of passengers on board ranging in ages and from all walks of life - including disabled passengers.

Some of the disabilities included a double amputee, a lady with a full false arm, a man who had had a very bad accident some forty years ago which resulted in having a full calliper on one leg and one person with Parkinson's.
I talked at length with the man who had the calliper and found out that because of the way he walked and also the way in which the calliper fitted he has subequently required a hip replacement.

All of this seemed to make me look at my own disability in a different way.

I overheard a conversation on one day where two women were discussing taking disabled people abroad. Their conclusion was they wouldn't attempt it as it was too much responsibility.

Yes, it is a responsibility but I personally feel that is a selfish outlook. It does take that extra planning but why should these people not be given the same opportunities? We know our limitations and manage accordingly.

The carers certainly deserve a well earned break.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shirely - good to see you back!

    Re. "too much responsibility", I think that they will have been seeing the work involved, but not in the context of the love that inspires it. I wouldn't mind betting that the very peole who were intimidated by seeing the work involved for a stranger would move heaven and earth to help those they love in just the same way. We are sometimes better than we think we are when push comes to shove, but not so good when things are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,

    Thank you for this comment and giving me something to consider.

    ReplyDelete