Friday 20 May 2016

4th SaeboGove Check and Further Exercises

This week I had an appointment with the Neurophysio at the hospital, after a lapse of eight weeks. I knew that whatever I had to do would leave me tired.

Two days before this appointment I had a leg massage to help with my painful legs and knees and also to boost my stamina. I do find that these treatments are beneficial especially after a period indifferent health which I have been experiencing recently.

As usual the session with the physio started with a discussion about the SaeboGlove, what not to do with it and further exercises were discussed and undertaken.  One thing not to do is wear it for long periods or overnight.
The tensioners remain as before  except that the middle one on the third finger has been re-installed.(Not shown) The SaeboGlove can be used in two ways: for exercise and for stretching.
The optimum time has to be personally worked out but should not be used for periods of longer than forty to forty five minutes.
The double bands are used when stretching is required and this can be undertaken whilst simply reading or having a period of quiet time.
One band only should be used for exercising.

The first exercise was to make the affected wrist "crease or wrinkle" and in so doing, re-align the wrist.
 By holding on to the walking stick handle, applying pressure through it and flexing the wrist in a downwards movement this can easily be achieved.It is surprising how much better this felt
afterwards.
Triceps

I also was shown how to bring my affected shoulder forwards over my stick to give the triceps a stretch. This has to be done whilst keeping the body straight and ensuring that the shoulder does not cross over my body.
Any time you spend standing or exercising it is good practice to pull in the tummy and bottom which will give better posture.






The second exercise was to hold a pen or pencil in the affected hand with the point facing upwards. Then, reach forwards as far as possible, maintaining the pen in the upright position, If necessary "nudge" the arm out with the good hand to get the arm  to full stretch -  making sure that the arm is straight and take it across to the side whilst maintaining the position of the pen. Quite a task. One to work at.

I do not return to see the Neurophysio until after the summer and I have one last challenge to try:
Disable my good hand, by putting a mitten on it and for a period of time eg: an afternoon or morning if it is a time when feeling refreshed after sleep, and do everything with the affected hand.

It seems that I am about to embark on a busy period during the next few months, but t is another set of challenges that I will undertake in what are the last pieces of the jigsaw of my journey to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment